What does it take to make an App?
Are you thinking of creating an app?
In this post we outline some readiness factors to consider before getting started.
Since 2010 we’ve had lots of people approach us with great ideas for apps. Many clients share our vision that the future of accessing content is on mobile devices, and they visualize their own ideas or content as engaging, beautiful, stunning apps.
But before launching straight into developing an app, we help our clients understand the mobile market as a whole, and also help them assess their own readiness to launch a mobile strategy for their business. With this we introduce our assessment tool, and also invite you to download our comprehensive and free “Mobile 2012″ white paper.
Mobile Devices? It’s humans who are mobile.
Mobile devices are still relatively new. The fact is humans have always been mobile. It’s only now we have the technologies that allow us to access the content we value 24/7 in exciting ways. This has been possible only in the last couple of years…. thinking here of how the iPad has transformed publishing, news, social media and just about everything else the internet allowed us to do in limited ways. Apps on mobile devices allow us to interact with content and people in much more compelling, more beautiful and playful ways, wherever we are and whenever we want. Pretty powerful stuff.
Transform Your Existing Content
If you are already mobile savvy and have fresh app ideas or novel app concepts, you may like following our app design process to create rapid wireframes & prototypes. Many others, like authors or leaders in their field, may be less mobile savvy but already have content they believe is of value to people. Perhaps the following examples resonate with you:
- It could be a book you’ve already published, or want to publish
- It could be training materials that you have developed
- It could be you have a particular methodology or tool kit that has helped clients in your professional field
- It could be you have curated a photo or art collection of specific era, or subject matter
- It could be you have a hobby that you want to document and share with others who share the passion
- It could be you are a specialist in your discipline of health, fitness, education, medicine, history, astrology, biology, anthropology, or any of the sciences.
- It could be you have a children’s story that you’ve created and want to interactivate it!
So the question to ask is “How mobile ready are you?” You want to give yourself or your business the best launch possible into the mobile space.
If you have the dream, a strong belief and the content, that’s what counts
Polymash has had 100s of conversations on this topic with individual content owners and businesses. After years of building relationships and educating clients, we have been able to distill the key drivers to successful app creation to six major dimensions. This assessment takes a very real look at what it takes to make a successful app in a still relatively new, yet rapidly growing market place. The self-assessment is not for the faint-hearted. And, it’s not to say, if you’re strong in few dimensions that you can’t start. If you have the content and a strong belief and a dream, that’s what counts.
What does it take to make an app, and how ready are you?
- Know your market – who your users are and what they will do with your app
- Compelling content – what assets can you provide – images, stories, models, videos, graphics
- Organization culture – the supportive work context – leadership support, finances, timeframes, innovative mindsets
- Mobile Device awareness – experience consuming content on mobile, so you’re able to discern good user experience
- Marketing and Social Media Savvy – a product launch is a product launch, requiring marketing investment and social proof
- Aligned Strategy including Web – going mobile is a strategic undertaking; a holistic integrated web strategy is important
Readiness Assessment Tool
What does it take to make an app? Take Polymash’s Assessment Tool to find our your current state of readiness.
- Discover where your strengths already exist.
- Find out what opportunities there are for you to prepare yourself for your greatest success.
- Learn from our experience and how we have helped many like you who have created apps to serve their user base and grow their global reach.
As part of the free Readiness Assessment Tool and in addition to your results, you will also receive a comprehensive report and state of the mobile landscape as of July 2012.
Get ahead now in understanding mobile trends and position yourself for the future!